List of Main Chocolate Ingredients
Here are the basic blends of ingredients for the various types of chocolate:
– It is a pale-yellow, edible vegetable fat extracted from the cocoa bean, used to make chocolate. It has a cocoa flavor and aroma. Cocoa butter is a major
ingredient in all types of chocolates. The more expensive chocolate (processed longer) have a smoother texture and mouthfeel.
Cocoa Liquor or Chocolate Liquor
- It represent pure cocoa mass in liquid form. It contains cocoa solids and cocoa butter in roughly equal proportion.
– Up to 50% of cocoa can be fat, comprised from two saturated fatty acids (palmitic and stearic acids) and one mono-unsaturated acid (oleic acid). This fat
in cocoa butter and chocolate is not raising blood levels of cholesterol, however other ingredients in some chocolate products can cause that effects
(milk, other forms of fat ingredients).
– Sugar is basic ingredient of chocolate. Cocoa bean has significant amount of carbohydrates, but most of them are not in the sugar state. Instead of that
they are in the form of starch, soluble dietary fibers and insoluble dietary fibers.
or milk powder
- Used for milk chocolate.
Lecithin (or other emulsifying agent)
- An emulsifying agent (such as soy lecithin) that makes the ingredients blend together.
Fruits and Nuts
- Used for specialty chocolates.
- Cocoa beans have polyphenols that have very beneficiary antioxidant properties. These compounds (also known as flavonoids) are located in the non-fat
portion of cocoa beans, and can reduce blood ability to clot which will clean arteries and prevent stroke and heart attacks.
– Small part of cocoa bean is Theobromine, a very mild stimulant that can be toxic for animals like cats, dogs and parrots. It increases production of
urine in our metabolism.
– Caffeine is a regular ingredient of cocoa bean, which enables chocolate products to keep us awake. Amount of caffeine is much smaller than in other
products, such as tea, cola drinks and coffee.
– It stimulates our bodies by increasing levels of dopamine and adrenaline in blood.
– Creates the feeling of pleasure, often causing slight withdrawal symptoms and mild depression.
– Calcium, iron, zinc, magnesium, potassium, manganese.
– A, B1, B2, B3, C and E.
– From 3% to 35%
– From 3% to 22%
Note: All figures are approximate, this text does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.